Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Benefits of my Hometown

Well, in my last post I mentioned that I am seriously thinking that I would prefer to have a home birth. I feel very fortunate to live in a town that not only is progressive in it's thinking and ideas, but is also very suppostive of a person's right to choose what they want. There are a number of families in town that have chosen to have home births and rather than the people in town being dismissive or negative, they have been quite supportive. I am lucky because I now know of at least three families who have very recently had a home birth, and I am so grateful to all of them for being so open with me about their experiences. Because my husband, M is not fully sold on the idea (he is concerned with safety and he's not quite sure about the strangeness of having a baby outside of a hospital) I am relying on the stories of these other families to help show him how awesome it can be. I have done such a large amount of research regarding my birth options and I know what I want, but I understand why he may be a little apprehensive about having our experience be outside of a hospital. When I have mentioned to some people that I am seriously thinking home birth is the way I want to go, a majority of them seem confused that I have made this decision despite not actually being pregnant. However, I have always been a planner. It makes me feel more comfortable and it helps me feel ok with decisions I am making. I am scared beyond belief about having a baby, but only because I can't really plan it. I have no control over what happens and that is scary at best. I think females in general would understand my sometimes overwhelming fear that I may not be able to get pregnant at all. I am young(ish) and I have no serious health problems, but there is still the fear that something will happen that will prevent me from becoming a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment